Shh...Did you hear that? It was the sound of my priorities shifting.

21 June 2007

The Bubble!

I'm getting better, you guys! I woke up this morning able to breathe and everything. And my voice isn't totally croaky anymore. Now it's more of a sexy rasp. At least that's what I like to think, anyway.

Yesterday was our first full day with all of the counselors. We had training and I got to meet my staff and teach them some rigging and stuff. It was good. I don't know yet about whether they are going to be stars or superstars, but my hopes are high.

This morning, Geoff (one of the camp directors) gave his famous "bubble speech" about how camp is a bubble unlike the real world. Time works differently here, romantic encounters progress at a different rate, we're not expected to cook or clean or do our own laundry (unless those are our camp jobs), and rumors fly through camp at Mach 5. Anyway, it's a great speech that we returners look forward to every year.

I had a meeting with the heads of camp today too. It went quite well.

Later I got to fly with my staff. It was great for giving me a much-needed attitude adjustment, but I have a lot to teach my staff. They have promise, but very little experience on the flying trapeze. We'll have to see what happens.

Tomorrow we're supposed to be setting up our stage. It's a huge job that requires about 50 volunteers from other departments and lots of heavy lifting. If we can get through tomorrow without my staff or anyone else's staff hating me and/or circus, it will be a job well done!

I feel kind of lonely and I miss home. I wish the kids were here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are getting better... I like my girls without watery eyes and snotty noses... although I love you even when you're runny...

PS you looked cute today in your wellies.

nickhellrung said...

yayyyyy for getting better!

I would totally come and help set up the stage... but I have not yet figured out the whole teleportation thing... bleh!

Hey, so you totally got me hooked om Jesus Christ's Blog. It is hilarious. I especially enjoyed his take on the 10 driving commandments! haha

Miss you!

Unknown said...

Hooray for healing. Better that you got sick at the beginning of camp then in the middle when you have to base some child and possibly sneeze or barf mid-air...hopefully something like that never happens to you :)